Tuesday 19 November 2013

Alien film poster

I am going to make an effort to create a poster for each film I watch from now on. A pretty big task, but hopefully it will keep me making things. First one was Alien, the film I watched most recently at the time of starting this crazy idea. This isn't quite finished yet, but it's at a point where I'm pretty happy with it. Thinking I need to bring out the figures in the foreground a bit more. Up next: Gravity, hopefully! 

Tuesday 23 July 2013

sketchbook piccys

Friday 3 May 2013

modifying my tele

I've been meaning to make some modifications to my telecaster for a while - I wanted to make a metal scratch plate and veneer the top, and I just got round to starting over the last couple of days. Terrible photos are due to the fact I couldn't find my camera under the pile of stuff I dislodged to do this and so had to take quick snaps as I went along.

I used a zebrano veneer for the body, and stained the rear a much darker brown/black to contrast.

I still have quite a lot of work to do - I want to varnish the whole thing (oil finishing wasn't working for me) and polish the aluminium to a mirror finish...I might also apply a veneer to the headstock to match.

Thursday 21 February 2013

new batch of cyanotypes

Myself and Kim have been going bonkers with cyanotypes the last few weeks, getting things ready for World Book Day. Here is a little something I cooked up quickly - its a diagram of a Lithium Atom. I wanted to make something along the lines of that old atomic symbol, and it seems to me that it is based on Lithium - with it's three electrons. Maybe I'm wrong. But there you go. I have been terrible at updating the old bloggy recently, hopefully there will be much, much more to come in the next few weeks!

Thursday 31 January 2013

back to sketching

Feels like I haven't really drawn anything in a fair while - been building stuff! Started drawing a lot more in the last few weeks, trying to come up with some half decent ideas for screen printing and cyanotyping. Been testing out the cyanotype prints today, still dialing in the right exposures - fluctuates hugely depending on the type/thickness of paper etc. Bit frustrating and progress is slow but I'll get there in the end. Hopefully will have something to show within the next few days and I can get back to using my blog more regularly! 

Thursday 3 January 2013

Second Guitar Build

I wanted to keep the finish on this guitar simple - I just put on a few coats of danish oil and then some wax polish. 

I had to use Ambrose's workshop to finish the headstock - everything I had lying around at home wasn't able to cut it effectively (as evidenced by the hack marks).

I didn't want to cut a straight up tele style headstock - I quite liked the strat style headstock on the deluxe tele, and the design I came up with was sort of in between the two. Not sure if I'm 100% settled on it, might have another go at it at some point in the future...